President - #1

Associated Reports:
Previous president reports -
Report/Summary of Activities
  • Attended to daily ASTE Business, answered emails, and interacted with the board.
  • Worked with Executive Director and President-Elect to suggest committee appointments.
  • Conducted the summer board meeting (some in-person in New Orleans and some virtually) in June 2023
  • Conducted the mini-board meeting in September 2023.
  • Coordinated the partnership agreement with Carolina Biological Supply Company (CBSC), along with the Presidential team, Executive Director, and the Board. The agreement was signed and the survey was sent to our ASTE members.
  • Encouraged board members to write something about their committees for each newsletter.
  • Wrote quarterly messages for the newsletter.
  • Worked with Executive Director on budget questions.
  • Attended committee meetings when available (and read notes when not available to attend).
  • Communicated with Board, Executive Committee, and Presidential team on various issues as needed (e.g., Board reports).
  • Communicated with president-elect, Bill McComas, on questions relating to president-elect and incoming president duties. Clarified roles in conversations. Noted that offices switch at the end of the conference each year (end of the Saturday luncheon).
  • Serving as ASTE liaison, I attended the NTLS Conference in September 2023 (Washington, DC) where I represented ASTE and worked with Glen Bull and others on the Objects to Think With (CITE Journal section) and the CadLibrary.org.
  • I’m now working with David Slykhuis, NTLS President, to create an MOU with ASTE and NTLS.
  • In November 2023, I represented ASTE (along with Rommel Miranda and Bill McComas) for the CASTL K-12 summit (Collaborative for Advancing Science Teaching and Learning in K-12) by the National Academies Action Collaborative. This was a nationally, handpicked group where ASTE was well represented out of ~30 participants.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
I would appreciate feedback on the mini-board meetings (March and September) as well as what could be more transparent about our organization to our members. I believe that if a contract ends without a clause for extension, then an organization must conduct a search for legal reason as as well as transparency. That is currently how we are functioning. Question: Do we want to add a clause to contracts, such as the next Executive Director's contract, where it could be extended without a search? I would appreciate the board members continuing to review the SOPs (and bylaws) to make corrections and clarifications where needed.
Planned Activities:
  1. Work with the incoming president with NTLS on an MOU with ASTE.
  2. Work with the incoming president with NARST on an MOU with ASTE.

Director of Electronic Services - #5

Report/Summary of Activities
  1. DES Work
    1. Ensure that the electronic communications used by ASTE members are current and trouble free.
    2. Post and manage updates to the ASTE web site
    3. Post information on the ASTE web site as directed and approved by the Executive Director and President.
    4. Maintain and manage an online database of ASTE members with electronic access by the Executive Director and President
    5. Create, manage and update electronic archives of pertinent ASTE documents, such as newsletters, award winners, presidential line, yearly leadership and boilerplate information for conference programs.
    6. Monitor, Moderate, and Maintain the ASTE listservs
    7. Post information for ASTE members as approved by the Executive Director
    8. Post and manage job ads as approved by the Executive Director
    9. Modify and develop the use of technologies to help manage the organization and provide additional resources to the general memberships as well as the ASTE leaders.
    10. Work with the Executive Director to create and manage online membership and registration forms with the ability to process online payments.
  2. Trained Maria on the ins and outs of the website, proposal system, conference registration and membership system, elections system, various committee systems and other workings of the website as much as can be done with 6 months
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
None
Planned Activities:
Bid thee all farewell and string up a hammock...

Mid-Atlantic Association for Science Teacher Education - #16b

Report/Summary of Activities
  • Over the past year, MAASTE has organized and delivered a successful conference in Kingsport, TN. We had 50 faculty attend as well as 11 graduate students.
  • We have successfully implemented our new structure by maintaining prior officers to continue serving on our leadership board, which helps with our institutional continuity.
  • The membership also elected a new director (Dr. Andrew Gilbert – George Mason University) at our Kingsport business meeting.
  • We continue to carry a healthy account balance, that has allowed us to jump into conference planning for next year.
  • Our graduate student award (that provides support to attend and present at ASTE conference) was awarded to Chelsea McClure, Case study: Building capacity for environmental literacy in teacher education.
  • Lisa Gross – Appalachian State University won the MAASTE Legacy Award for her dedication to MAASTE over her career.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
  • We would like the board to consider reminding all members of the ethics statement at our national conference and that those ethics hold at all regional levels as well.
  • We have promoted this statement in our region, and we found that many of our members were unaware of the existence of the policy.

Planned Activities:
We have already booked our next conference location at Pineville State Park in Pineville, KY for our fall 2024 conference.
  • Our leadership team (including conference chair, William Thornburgh – Eastern Kentucky University) convened to discuss location, dates, venue, food options and associated activities, deposit placed in early December. The dates are the 24th and 25th of October, 2024.
  • We continue to consider new presentation ideas and this year will be adding an ‘activities’ session where faculty bring activities for teaching scientific phenomena and frame how those activities fit inquiry teaching agendas. We plan to pilot a limited number of these in our upcoming conference. We think broadening our activities during the conference and trying new innovative approaches is essential to continue drawing our members to the regional conference.
  • We will advertise and recruit for the conference at our Annual meeting in New Orleans.

Graduate Student Forum (GSF) - #17c

Associated Reports:
N/A
Report/Summary of Activities

Pre-mid year activities (Jan-May 2023)

  • Communicating to ASTE Graduate Members
    • Engagement with graduate students via GSF social media (Facebook and Twitter) accounts is questionable. We have gained insight about how best to communicate information to ASTE graduate student members. A communication survey early in the year was used to assess the main forms of communication preferred by graduate student members and update the email list. Email is still the main form of communication, but we are gaining traction through Twitter, Facebook, and have added an Instagram page. This was also reflected in feedback from the Mini-in-May when asked about how participants learned about the event.

  • Communicating to ASTE Regions
    • In the fall, we met with Dr. Amanda Gunning who was able to introduce and connect us with representatives from all ASTE regions. The goal of this communication is to increase graduate student participation in ASTE through improved communication between the ASTE GSF and ASTE regions. We were able to share and have the regional representatives promote the ASTE GSF Mini-in-May event. The regional representatives also shared their upcoming regional events with us to promote through the ASTE GSF communication platforms.

 

  • 3rd Annual ASTE Graduate Student Forum Mini-in-May Conference (virtual)
    To meet the ASTE strategic priority on equity, we named the conference theme as Communities of Support and conference sessions highlighted how ASTE brings resources and DEI support in higher education/science teacher education research
      • Date: Thursday, May 18, 2023; 12:00n-2:30pm EST
  • Surveyed graduate students of which time of day worked best for a conference
  • Majority of students chose 11am-2pm; we chose the timeframe being mindful of students on West Coast and international students.
  • Schedule was sent out to ASTE GSF and non-member graduate students outside of ASTE:
        • Welcome by Dr. Andrea Borowczak, President of ASTE
        • Keynote by Dr. Rommel Miranda, Past-President of ASTE
        • 2 rounds of breakout sessions with topics and facilitators:
          • Dr. Felicia Mensah, Teachers College, Columbia University: Writing Schedule & Time Management
          • Dr. Julianne Wenner, Clemson University: Supporting Women in Academe  
          • Dr. Julie Contino, American Museum of Natural History: ASTE Forums, Teaching Residencies
        • Grad Student Tip and Tricks
        • Last session: Networking & getting involved with ASTE
        • Incentive: Book giveaway
      • Conference Organizers:
        Sabrina Avila (current President), Jenna Gist (President-elect), Meredith Schwendemann (Vice President)
      • Purpose: The Mini-in-May helps to maintain community and support for our ASTE graduate student members and potential graduate student members after and between the official ASTE Conferences in January. 
      • We used the official ASTE Zoom Room – ensured closed captioning was used
      • Approximately 20 attendees
      • Link to Jamboard: https://jamboard.google.com/d/15T7TumH6R4ORM8Fp0vELljNxugwBXt3c2v3O4CD8ppM/edit?usp=sharinggwBXt3c2v3O4CD8ppM/edit?usp=sharing
      • Positive Feedback
  • Dr.Mensah’s session on creating a writing schedule was phenomenal!
  • Opportunities for small group conversations.
  • The breakout rooms and the topics discussed in the breakout rooms
  • Getting one-on-one conferences with presenters being very real and how they navigate the academy and life
  • The breakout rooms
  • The chance to network/meet other grad students with similar interests.
  • Grad students networking
  • Well organized discussion ideas. The jamboard was a nice way to follow along.
  • I really liked the camaraderie and sense of togetherness
  • the information and support
  • Resources shared by the presenters
  • Informal, making connections with people
  • Thank you so much for the Mini-in-May conference. I am so glad I came. It was very well organized. The speakers really reached my heart
      • Constructive Feedback
  • More sessions on helping grad students navigate academia.
  • Writing and publishing support.
  • Maybe a 10-minute break in between sessions would be great.
  • this was great, and I am not sure right now what else can be added
  • New PhD student session
  • Make it a little shorter.
  • A mentor for grad students applying or considering research in science education
  • Mini in (other months)
  • It would be nice to have a 8-10 minute break to get a snack/water and use the restroom. I wanted to sneak away but didn’t want to miss anything. In my time zone, the conference started at 11 AM and ended at 1:30 PM, so it was right through lunch.
  • break time during the event
  • I would like to participate in like many activities. Thank you!!!
  • Explicit focus on justice, critical theories and methodologies
  • Continued Conversations – Virtual Collaboration and Writing Space
      • Most Mini-in-May attendees said they would appreciate an online collaboration and writing space during the summer.
        • “I would love to hang out for a virtual writing retreat if there is any coming up.”
      • Will use email, social media and GSF link on ASTE webpage – share information and upcoming events
      • GSF exec will plan other topical sessions for FALL including prep for NOLA
        • Work in Progress

 

New Activities (June 2023-Present)

  • Friday Writing Sessions
      • These have occurred weekly since June 2023 using ASTE Zoom.  
      • We also use the time to provide participants with weekly verbal GSF updates.
      • This space has promoted collaboration with graduate student colleagues across the U.S.
      • We have ~3-8 people who attend these sessions regularly.
  • Preparing for planned GSF events at ASTE 2024 
      • Registration for GSF events 
        • We used regular registration e-form for GSF business luncheon.
        • We created a Google form for 3MT and Social registration and sent it to ASTE listserv & website for posting.  
        • We promoted our own GSF specific work-in-progress session through our GSF communication channels to avoid confusion with the greater ASTE WiP scheduled poster sessions.  
      • We are using the Whova app to check in with graduate students and promote GSF conference events prior to and during the upcoming conference.  
      • GSF Business Luncheon
        • This has been scheduled for Thursday, January 11th, 2024, from 12-1 pm CST in Oak Alley. 
        • We plan to give a presentation that will provide participants with an overview of the GSF’s mission and goals, the planned GSF activities for the conference (Work-in-progress, 3MT, social), and GSF elections information
        • We also plan to provide ways for graduate students to get to know each other and interact during the luncheon to build community within the GSF
        • Graduate students will be able to self-nominate or nominate others for elected positions within the GSF during the luncheon
      • Work-in-progress roundtable session
        • This has been scheduled for Friday, January 12th, 2024, from 1-2 pm CST in Nottoway. 
        • This event is meant to provide an informal space for graduate students to share their works in progress (posters/one-page summaries) and receive feedback from fellow graduate students. 
        • We are hoping that individuals who were not able to present their work through ASTE’s Work-in-Progress Poster sessions will attend this event. 
      • 3MT
        • This has been scheduled for Friday, January 12th, 2024, from 6-7 pm CST in Nottoway and will be followed by the social. 
        • We have 10 graduate students signed up to compete in the 3MT and 3 faculty judges. 
      • Social
        • This event will follow the 3MT and take place off site from the hotel. 
        • We have made a reservation at the Creole House restaurant that is across the street from the hotel.
        • We have ~20-25 graduate students that have signed up to attend both the 3MT and social events. 
  • Elections Information for GSF 2024
      • This election cycle, we have added a Social Media Coordinator as an elected position for the GSF. This person will serve a 1 year term and this role should help promote the GSF’s online presence and engagement. We have had success promoting GSF events this year through social media (primarily through Twitter (X), and Facebook). We also hope the Social Media Coordinator will be able to design flyers and come up with other creative ways to promote GSF and regional ASTE events throughout the year. 
      • This election cycle we have also added Regional Liaisons as elected positions for the GSF. We have collaborated with Dr. Amanda Gunning to discuss these positions. Our shared goal is to promote better communication between the GSF and all of ASTE’s regions/regional representatives so that we can help promote each other’s events and increase graduate student involvement in ASTE. We hope that having graduate students serve as liaisons (especially within their own regions) will help accomplish these goals. Regional Liaisons will serve 1 year terms and may select the ASTE region they prefer to serve within. The liaisons will also be required to attend 4 GSF meetings per year (quarterly) and work with their assigned region’s representatives. 
      • This election cycle, we have added an extension to the Vice President role, by adding a Vice President-Elect role. This person will serve a 2-year term and will work closely with the Vice-President, President-Elect, and President of the GSF. 
      • Together, these new positions will provide additional ways for graduate students to become involved in ASTE and ASTE GSF leadership. We strongly believe the addition of these positions will also improve upon our current leadership model, as the current president and vice president can mentor the president-elect and vice president-elect for one year prior to them becoming the future president and vice-president of the GSF.
  • GSF leadership team meetings- met weekly on Fridays to plan activities and delegate tasks

 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
  • ACCESSIBILITY: We have been challenged in selecting times for GSF events that are inclusive to all graduate students due to varying time zones. Additionally, West Coast and U.S. Pacific Islander graduate students currently have had less access to the GSF and have not been able to participate in several of our events due to the location of annual ASTE conferences (e.g., Utah, Louisiana). Since we promote and hold the majority of our events at the annual conference, graduate students who cannot attend the annual conference may have less access to not only the events that take place at the annual conference, but also future events, and may be unable to participate in GSF elections.  
  • FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: Explore mechanisms for more ways of assisting graduate students’ ASTE conference fees. For example, the 3MT pays the upcoming year conference fee for one graduate student, yet this is selective only for graduate students that have data available to present (and are typically a new faculty member at the time of award).  
  • GRADUATE STUDENT COMMUNICATION: Given constant “changing” status of grad students, it is difficult to maintain an accurate mailing list. How might the board and greater membership feel about the ability for faculty members to add their graduate students (and interested grad students) to a list / google form for greater reach. This could also be a good recruitment tool. Some other things to consider: can we create a link to join listserv on website?  How to periodically check the list: is there an automated option the Board uses or do we review manually? Would there be an unsubscribe from list link?
  • In previous years, the Grad Forum had discussed a Grad Student Poster session (similar to NARST) that included pre-conference mentoring by an ASTE member at a different institution in a similar field.  How would board and general membership feel about this idea? Discussions between it being practitioner/action research focused for in-classroom research and curriculum design (more like work that TA-ships would include, as these often do not have direct mentorship like research labs do) or the standard “empirical” research symposium. Would love Board thoughts on directions. With WiP poster sessions, we wouldn’t want it to feel like overlap – the mentoring segment before the conference would be highly emphasized.
  • We are holding a pilot GSF WiP roundtable session at ASTE 2024 that is meant for graduate students at any point in their academic journey.  We would like feedback on how to distinguish this GSF event from the general ASTE WiP session. 

Planned Activities:
 
  • ASTE 2024 & 2025 Conference Activities
  • Mini-in-May 2024
  • Continuing weekly writing sessions
  • Topical virtual sessions with ASTE members featured as guest speakers
  • Continue to build Social Media presence/Marketing outreach/Awareness of GSF
  • Collaborating with ASTE Regional Coordinators
    • We plan to recruit graduate students who would like to be more involved with ASTE to serve as liaisons between the ASTE GSF and each region.
    • We will consider more formalized development of sub-committees within the forum, including one with just the graduate student liaisons.
  • Maintain & Revamp GSF handbook for effective leadership transitions

Additional Files
Copy of Board Report_GSF_for January Board Meeting

Technology Forum - #17f

Associated Reports:
None
Report/Summary of Activities

Activities in 2023/2024 for the Technology Forum focused on A) voting for a new co-chair via the SITE Science Education SIG: B) planning for and organizing the review process for the selection of the 2024 John C. Park National Technology Leadership Initiative Fellowship award winner.

 

First, due to the close partnership between the SITE, the SITE Science Education SIG, and the ASTE Technology Forum, the forum welcomes newly elected co-chair Stuart White (white152@purdue.edu). Stuart was elected as the new SITE Science Education SIG co-chair at the March 2023 SITE Annual Conference to replace outgoing co-chair Nathan Dolenc, and therefore joins Nick Lux as the current co-chair of the ASTE Technology Forum.

 

The second major activity in which the Technology Forum engaged was organizing efforts to review papers for the 2024 John C. Park National Technology Leadership Initiative Fellowship award. At the time of this report, the co-chairs have reached out to Technology Forum members soliciting their assistance in the review process. That review process includes evaluating self-nominated papers via the award rubric, as well as attending the presentations at ASTE 2024 since an assessment of the presentation itself is included in the rubric criteria.

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
None
Planned Activities:
For 2024/2025, the co-chairsplan to continue honing the review process for a more efficient selection of the John C. Park National Technology Leadership Initiative Fellowship award.

Conference Planning Committee - #8

Associated Reports:
8a, 8b
Report/Summary of Activities
  • Transition to WHOVA
  • Worked with PD Committee to Organize Syllabus-Sharing Presenters/Session
  • Worked with Equity Committee to modify the Land Acknowledgement
  • Refined Evaluation Survey
  • Developed procedures for ASTE Remembers session
  • Developing a CPC Roles/Timeline SOP Appendix for our committee to improve clarification of roles, timelines, intersecting jobs, and decision-making. The goal is to have this ready for Board consideration either in the second Board meeting in January or a March/April meeting.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
  • Kelly Feille and Lisa Borgerding will be rotating off the CPC at the same time. Given the transition to WHOVA, the addition of a new Director of Electronic Services, the return to large in-person conferences, and the ongoing clarification of roles/timeline of conference planning contributors, the Committee recommends discussion of the extension of Kelly’s position for an additional year.
 
Planned Activities:
  • Run the conference!
  • Release the 2024 Conference Evaluation Survey immediately following the conference through WHOVA.
  • Continue to amend the CPC Roles/Timeline SOP Appendix.

NSTA Representative - #19

Associated Reports:
See Report #12 NSTA Partnership
Report/Summary of Activities

See Report #12 NSTA Partnership

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
See Report #12 NSTA Partnership
Planned Activities:
None

NSTA Partnership Committee - #12

Report/Summary of Activities

#12        NSTA Partnership

There seems like little difference between this category and #19 (NSTA Representative) so let me offer all NSTA related comments here.

  • Continued conversations about the link between ASTE and NSTA (per our SOP’s I am currently the NSTA Representative/Liaison) and met in person with Flavio Mendez our NSTA representative at the Kansas City NSTA Conference.
  • I have also just found out (12/12/23) that there is another group that links ASTE to NSTA. It is called the NSTA Alliance of Affiliates (AoA).  This group is chaired by Sharon Delesbore (sjdelesbore@gmail.com) and she tells me that 7 groups (including ASTE) that are linked to and support NSTA come together occasionally to talk about ways to offer such support.  I have asked her for more detail (such as the names of the groups that make up this partnership)
  • In conversations with the Executive team, we have decided to do two things associated with the NSTA committee structure established by our former president.

Background: When I first encountered the ASTE-NSTA liaison there were three subcommittees, each with 6 members (the rationale for this is to spread the work and increase the opportunities for service).  Those committees are A) Webinar, B) NSTA conference session and C) Chapter Relations and Preservice (how are ASTE members using NSTA resources, work that is facilitated by Flavio Mendez of NSTA which whom I have now met several times online and in person at the Kansas City NSTA conference).   I should mention that some work of the ASTE-NSTA committee was reduced when NSTA dropped to one “small” national conference in the Fall and one “large” conference in the spring but would not extend the privilege of having dedicated NSTA sessions at the Fall conference.  At the NSTA conference (Fall 2023) I spoke briefly in person with the NSTA president on this issue, but nothing was resolved.  I should also mention that there is an invitation (expectation) for the ASTE representative to NSTA to attend a three-day summer board meeting.  In the Summer of 2023, I was not able to attend but appreciate those who substituted for several of the meeting days.

 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
None
Planned Activities:
The first action taken by the ASTE Board was to align the start/stop dates of service on all ASTE-NSTA committees to coincide with the dates of service for all other committees.  For some reason, these dates were not aligned and were due to end in the summer.  However, the end date for all NSTA committee members was extended to expire at the time of the 2024 conference.  The second action was to reduce each of the three standing subcommittees by one person each.  This was accomplished by not replacing those members whose terms were due to expire at the time of the 2024 conference. Therefore, each of the three subcommittees now has five members and we will continue to monitor the work of the ASTE-NSTA committee to gauge its role and effectiveness. Finally, I am now considering how to balance the three existing NSTA subcommittees (Chapter Relations, ASTE/NSTA conferences and ASTE/NSTA Webinars in terms of their experience and the number serving on each.  I have appointed chairs of each subcommittee and am currently considering the issues of balance. I have asked each of the subcommittees to provide a short report on their activities in 2023 but, have not yet received those reports. Further Thoughts:  Again, I believe that we need to monitor our association with NSTA (and all such linked organizations) to ensure that the time commitments and any reciprocal agreements value the time expended by ASTE members and leaders.  I am not suggesting that this is not the case, but we must be attentive to all our partnerships and should revisit agreements from time to time.

President Elect - #2

Report/Summary of Activities

#2         President Elect

  • Attended the Summer Board of Directors/Executive Committee meeting in New Orleans
  • Participated in Board of Directors Deliberations and Associated Votes
  • Continued participation in Board of Directors/Presidential Team/Executive Committee/Executive Director meetings and activities
  • Attended and participated in the Fall meeting of SW-ASTE in Houston, TX
  • Appointed a few individuals to vacant positions on ASTE committees (an on-going task for the president-elect)
  • One of the most important accomplishments of my time as president-elect was to work with our Executive Director and members of the presidential team to craft a new job description for the Director of Electronic Services (DES) position which was due for consideration this year. We worked to make the description as detailed as possible (and that new description should now have become part of our SOPs for future use).  Our current DES did not choose to reapply but will graciously serve out his term to train his replacement.  We ultimately had two viable candidates and after consideration of experience and the interviews, the Board hired Maria Wallace of the University of Southern Mississippi.  She is currently in training and will soon assume the full responsibilities of the position.  I would like to acknowledge the work of our outgoing DES, John Rhea, who has given incredible service to the organization and helped us maintain our continued digital presence.
  • Attended the November 8-9, 2023, meeting of the Collaborative on Advancing Science Teaching and Learning in K-12 (CASTEL-K12) at the National Academies of Science, Engineering and Medicine in Washington, DC. This meeting featured 29 participants with ASTE very well represented (Andrea Borowczak online and B. McComas and R Miranda in person).  The meeting was convened to discuss the needs of K-12 science teachers and how the CASTEL initiative might assist them, in part, through the development of a new research-based book from the Board on Science Education (BOSE) like the Nation’s Lab Report and other such resources.
  • During this past year I met many times with ASTE President Andrea Borowczak both at the conference and through zoom and phone calls and several times with former President Rommel Miranda. Both colleagues have been very helpful in guiding me in the transition from President-elect to President.
  • With support from President Borowczak we are taking action on the status of and contract for our Executive Director. The Executive Board has approved an increase in the annual pay for this position, we are examining the job description for this position and anticipate having an announcement made on our website and through the ASTE list to see who might be interesting in serving as Executive Director for another term, including an application from our current ED.
  • Finally, I had a very productive “welcome” conversation with John Pecore our president elect. I would also mention that I send a thank you note to everyone who agreed to run for office.  I mention this because we do not want “not winning” to be seen as losing.  In fact, I believe that all those who agreed to stand for election should be given first opportunity to service, if they desire, on an ASTE committee.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
Not sure if any of these can be board action or simply considerations for discussion, but let me offer some thoughts below:

  1. We might consider changing the SOPs to allow for a two-year period for the president elect with a term of service that would be 2+1+1. Other professional organizations have some version of such a plan to allow for a more gradual (and perhaps effective) learning curve for those elected in the future.

  2. I will probably not be able to attend the Summer 2024 NSTA board on-line board meetings and I would appreciate a substitute (or series of substitutes). However, another way to deal with this is to appoint someone permanently to take my place as the ASTE-NSTA representative (this is permissible per our SOPs).


Planned Activities:

  1. Continue learning more about the role of ASTE president both by reviewing the SOPs and with support from the presidential team.

  2. Work with the president-elect to make appointments to the various ASTE committees as positions open. This is the responsibility of the president-elect, but I believe this should be more a shared responsibility.

  3. Schedule the spring online mini meeting of the ASTE Executive Committee

  4. Schedule the Summer Board meeting in Anaheim, CA (or consider some other meeting place)

  5. I am working with Maria Wallace, our new DES to capture “interest” in serving ASTE. As you may know, currently there is an option when renewing membership to indicate a desire to become “more involved.”  Presently, little happens with this information in any systematic way, and I would like to do more to honor members’ apparent desire to serve.

  6. Consider an ad hoc history committee to update the online history of ASTE (presently the last date online is 1994).

  7. Consider an ad hoc committee to organize key research endeavors (reflecting on the theme of the presidential address this year of “taking shared action.”) We might find an acronym for this initiative such as RESTEP (Research to Enhance Science Teacher Preparation)

  8. Consider action that would allow the president or perhaps just the three person presidential team (without further executive board action) to authorize payments of less than $500, for a total of $2500/year (or some other limits). Recently, the board had to act on an expense of much less than this amount and that seems an unnecessary use of board oversight.