President’s Report - #1

Report/Summary of Activities

#1           President

  • Assumed the presidency of ASTE and gave a brief speech at the annual conference in New Orleans. The theme of my presidential address with for us to collectively review what are the Grand Challenges in Science Teacher Preparation to analyze the direction of our research initiatives at least as are published in the JRSTE. This should lead to a consideration of areas where our work aligns with the Grand Challenges and where we have some opportunities for collective focus in dimensions where we have open yet important questions. Perhaps it would be useful for future presidents to offer a research-based vision for ASTE such as the Grand Challenges talk offered in January 2024.
  • Later, I summarized the main points of this talk as my first contribution as president to the ASTE Spring Newsletter.
  • The theme of my message in the Summer Newsletter will be “transitions” where I discuss our new DES and the shift in Executive Director
  • Led the Spring (AKA, “check in”) meeting of the Board of Directors/Executive Committee via Zoom meeting on March 6. These meetings have some of the character of regular board meetings but are an important opportunity to take the pulse of the organization in a somewhat less formal fashion.
  • I have continued my participation in Board of Directors/Presidential Team/Executive Committee/Executive Director meetings and activities and associated votes
  • Handed off the task of appointing individuals to vacant positions on ASTE committees to our president-elect John Pecore (while maintaining this responsibility for the ASTE/NSTA committee which is assigned to me as part of a rotation established by our SOPs.) More about this later
  • Certainly, the most important and consequential task was to review applications related to the position of Executive Director and engage in deliberations with members of the Board and Executive Committee who shared in the final decision to appoint Ronald Hermann (Professor of Science Education at Towson University in Maryland) as the next Executive Director of the Association. I would add that this was a difficult decision because we have been served well by Kate Popejoy who has announced her desire to step down at the end of August. This means that Dr. Hermann will oversee the conference in Long Beach.
  • We now have a signed contract with Dr. Hermann who is “in training” and on the payroll (at half the compensation for the Executive Director) beginning in April 2024 before moving to the full compensation rate in September when he fully assumes the position.
  • There are some ongoing issues that must be resolved with respect to the transition including but not limited to things such as securing full and ongoing access to real-time information, membership lists, contracts, credit card, bank accounts, etc. As an on-contract employee of ASTE we on the Board agree that such access is within the job description and responsibility of Dr. Hermann.
  • Given the additional costs associated with this transition and some scheduling issues I made the decision to forgo a face-to-face meeting for some + zoom for others (as has been our tradition) at the conference site in Long Beach. Rather, a group of those individuals key to running the conference will meet at the conference hotel on July 1 (arriving 6/30, leaving 7/2). This group will include Kate Popejoy, Ron Hermann, Kelly Feille, Lisa Borgerding, along with a representative from the local team (probably Lisa Martin Hansen).
  • Therefore, our “Summer” 2024 board meeting will now be online only on May 30-31.
  • Another very important transition has been the shift of our Director of Electronic Services (DES) from John Rhea to Maria Wallace of the University of Southern Mississippi. She effectively sheltered John during the conference in New Orleans and has now assumed the full responsibilities of the position. In many conversations with Maria and in considering her communications with the Board, we must act soon to analyze the functionality of various elements of our digital services from the website, member communications, collecting dues, supporting the work of various committee, the conference program, etc.  I do not claim expertise in this arena, but it is my impression that the custom-made design of various digital elements depends on continued involvement of the designer.  Therefore, any change in the DES will ultimately be problematic.  Maria is currently considering some options for purchasing a “package” of necessary elements (such as I have described) from a company that can provide ongoing support.  This decision will likely be the next most important decision that the Board must make, particularly because of the anticipated fiscal considerations.

 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
Planned Activities and Considerations (Some of which I have mentioned in previous reports):

  1. We might consider changing the SOPs to allow for a two-year period for the president elect with a term of service that would be 2+1+1. Other professional organizations have some version of such a plan to allow for a more gradual (and perhaps effective) learning curve for those elected in the future.

  2. I continue to be frustrated by the notion that the SOPs assign the task of filling committee to the President-elect. Certainly, those individuals in this position who have been recent active members of the Board are probably in a good position to fill these positions expeditiously but that may not always be the case.  I believe that the ASTE President should fill open positions.

  3. Schedule the Fall “check in” meeting of the ASTE Executive Committee. I do not know when these check-in meeting originated but do seem a good idea.

  4. Consider developing an ad hoc history committee to update the online history of ASTE (presently the last date online is 1994).

  5. Related to my Presidential Address we might consider an ad hoc committee to organize key research endeavors (reflecting on the theme of the presidential address this year of “taking shared action.”) We might find an acronym for this initiative such as RESTEP (Research to Enhance Science Teacher Preparation)

  6. Consider action that would allow the president or perhaps just the three-person presidential team (without further executive board action) to authorize payments of less than $500, for a total of $2500/year (or some other limits). Recently, the board had to act on an expense of much less than this amount and that seems an unnecessary use of board oversight.

  7. I have asked Erin Peters of our Diversity Committee to be our representative with other allied organizations such as NARST and NCTM to collaborate on a joint statement of support regarding diversity in the teacher workforce (and in teacher education). When the language of the joint statement is in draft form this will come to the ASTE Board for consideration.

  8. We have also been asked by a working group sponsored by the AAUP to discuss the “1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure).” Here is the entirety of the email I received from B.R. Kreiser (brkreiser@gmail.com) n on behalf of that organization.  I indicated that I would bring this to the attention of the ASTE Board but made no other commitment:


For more than thirty years I served as a senior program officer in the Department of Academic Freedom, Tenure, and Governance at the American Association of University Professors. Still actively involved with the AAUP since my retirement, I was recently looking over a current listing of American disciplinary and professional organizations concerned with the teaching of college-level science, and I noted that the Association for Science Teacher Education is not among the organizations that have lent their endorsement to the 1940 Statement of Principles on Academic Freedom and Tenure (https://www.aaup.org/report/1940-statement-principles-academic-freedom-and-tenure).

As you can see from the endorsement list, the 1940 Statement's more than 250 endorsers (https://www.aaup.org/endorsers-1940-statement) include most of the major learned societies in the United States. Among the organizations involved with teaching college-level science that have previously endorsed the Statement of Principles are the American Association of Physics Teachers, the Mathematical Association of America, and the National Science Teaching Association. The historical strength and continued force of the 1940 Statement have been supported by a great number of institutional and independent studies and by numerous significant legal proceedings. At a time when American higher education is experiencing new and growing threats to tenure and academic freedom, the AAUP would be most pleased to add the Association for Science Teacher Education to the official list of endorsers.

If you would like any additional information about the 1940 Statement or its endorsers, or about the recent work of the AAUP in defense of academic freedom, please feel free to write to Dr. Mark Criley, senior program officer in the AAUP's Department of Academic Freedom, Tenure, and Governance. His e-mail address is mcriley@aaup.org.

Given the scheduled publication later this year of the twelfth edition of the AAUP's Policy Documents and Reports (better known as the "Redbook," because of the color of its cover), it would be particularly timely, assuming your organization's willingness to endorse, if you could let us know before the end of the current academic year.

Graduate Student Forum (GSF) - #17c

Associated Reports:
N/A
Report/Summary of Activities

Ongoing activities (January – May 2024)

  • Communicating to ASTE Graduate Members
    • Continued work with the GSF Friday Writing Time. Meredith expanded the outreach efforts and worked to increase overall participation.
    • Kristin Ambrose (GSF Social Media Coordinator) developed an ASTE affiliated social media presence.
      • Logo
      • Continued engagement through posts and updates
      • Graduate student spotlight: Kristin has been highlighting the exciting work and accomplishments of ASTE graduate students
    • Engagement with graduate students via GSF social media has been gaining traction as a result of Kristin’s efforts.

 

  • Communicating to ASTE Regions
    • Regional liaisons were invited to join the GSF leadership meetings.
      • Increased outreach with regions
      • Solicit suggestions for improvement to the GSF as a whole
        • Suggestions for improvement to engagement with regions
    • Liaisons shared their developing work:
      • MA-ASTE created LinkedIn page and a regional Grad Student email account

 

  • 3rd Annual ASTE Graduate Student Forum Mini-in-May Conference (virtual)
    To meet the ASTE strategic priority on equity, we named the conference theme as Communities of Support and conference sessions highlighted how ASTE brings resources and DEI support in higher education/science teacher education research
      • Date: Tuesday, May 21, 2024 at 1-4pm EST
  • Surveyed graduate students of which time of day worked best for a conference
  • Majority of students chose 11am-2pm; we chose the timeframe being mindful of students on the West Coast and international students.
  • Schedule was sent out to ASTE GSF and non-member graduate students outside of ASTE:
        • Welcome by Jenna Gist, President of ASTE GSF
        • Keynote by Dr. Andrea Borowczak, Past-President of ASTE
        • 3 rounds of breakout sessions with topics and facilitators:
          • Session 1
            • Dr. Felicia Mensah, Teachers College, Columbia University: Introduction to Academic Writing
            • Dr. John Pecore, University of West Florida: AI in Academia
            • Dr. Caitlin Fine, Metropolitan State University of Denver: Navigating your Methods Section: Tips and Tricks
          • Session 2
            • Dr. David Steele, Alder Graduate School of Education: Preparing Conference Proposals
            • Dr. Brooke Whitworth, Clemson University: Acquiring Grant Funding
            • Dr. Jennifer Bateman, Clemson University: Constructing a CV and Resume
          • Session 3
            • Andrea Reeder, Middle Tennessee State University: Creating/Preparing Poster Presentations
            • Dr. Mark Newton, East Carolina University: Getting the Most out of your Research: Publishing your Work
            • Dr. Julianne Wenner, Clemson University: What can I do with my PhD? Planning for Post-Graduation
        • Takeaways and lingering questions
        • Closing remarks
        • Networking and socializing (optional)
      • Conference Organizers:
        Jenna Gist (current President), Jeff Papa (President-elect), Meredith Schwendemann (Vice President), Andrew McIntosh (Vice President-elect), and Kristin Ambrose (Social Media Coordinator)
      • Purpose: The Mini-in-May helps to maintain community and support for our ASTE graduate student members and potential graduate student members after and between the official ASTE Conferences in January. 
      • We will use the official ASTE Zoom Room – will ensure closed captioning is used
      • Approximately 30 attendees expected 
      • Link to Slides: Mini-in-May 2024
  • Will have participants complete a brief post-event survey to improve future Mini-in-May conferences


  • Continued Conversations – Virtual Collaboration and Writing Space
    • Most Mini-in-May attendees said they would appreciate an online collaboration and writing space during the summer.
      • “I would love to hang out for a virtual writing retreat if there is any coming up.”
    • Will use email, social media and GSF link on ASTE webpage – share information and upcoming events
    • GSF exec will plan other topical sessions for FALL including prep for NOLA
      • Work in Progress

 

New Activities (January – May 2024)

  • Professional Development (PD) Proposal 
      • This year is the first year that the GSF has submitted a PD proposal entitled, “Making the most of your PhD: Preparing for careers in science teacher education”. We submitted our proposal by the March 31st deadline and are waiting to hear back to see if it has been accepted.
      • Tentative PD date/time: Tuesday, September 10, 2024 1-4 PM EST
      • Purpose: Our virtual workshop seeks to provide graduate students with a more comprehensive professional development for their transition from graduate school to careers that will advance science education teaching and research. Our workshop will consider positions both within and beyond traditional academic settings, including informal science education, program evaluation, grant writing, and school district, state, and federal level positions. 
      • By the end of our PD workshop, our participants will know and be able to:
        • Identify multiple science teacher education career paths both within and beyond traditional academic settings;
        • Understand what they will need to do throughout their graduate education to prepare for any career path they wish to pursue;
        • Network with presenters that have the relevant experience and expertise within their desired career path(s);
        • Develop an action plan to pursue their desired career path;
        • Learn about opportunities that will foster ongoing learning about career paths in science teacher education; 
        • Establish and maintain positive collaborations with presenters who can help them reach their desired career trajectory and goals;
  • New Leadership Roles on GSF
      • This year we have a leadership team with 5 members: the President (Jenna Gist), President-Elect (Jeff Papa), Vice President (Meredith Schwendemann), Vice President-Elect (new role- Andrew McIntosh), and Social Media Coordinator (new role- Kristin Ambrose); in addition to our team we elected 7 regional liaisons (see below)
      • Vice President-Elect (new role)
        • We added an extension to the Vice President role, by adding a Vice President-Elect role. This person serves a 2-year term and works closely with the Vice-President, President-Elect, and President of the GSF. 
        • Andrew McIntosh was elected at the vice president-elect during ASTE’s annual conference in NOLA
      • Social Media Coordinator (new role)
  • We added a Social Media Coordinator as an elected position for the GSF. This person will serve a 1 year term and this role should help promote the GSF’s online presence and engagement. We have had success promoting GSF events this year through social media (primarily through Twitter (X), and Facebook). We also hope the Social Media Coordinator will be able to design flyers and come up with other creative ways to promote GSF and regional ASTE events throughout the year. 
        • Kristin Ambrose was elected as the social media coordinator for this year (2024-2025) at ASTE’s annual conference in NOLA. 
      • Regional Liaisons (new roles)
        • We have also added Regional Liaisons as elected positions for the GSF. We have collaborated with Dr. Amanda Gunning to discuss these positions. Our shared goal is to promote better communication between the GSF and all of ASTE’s regions/regional representatives so that we can help promote each other’s events and increase graduate student involvement in ASTE. We hope that having graduate students serve as liaisons (especially within their own regions) will help accomplish these goals. Regional Liaisons serve 1 year terms and may select the ASTE region they prefer to serve within. The liaisons are also required to attend 4 GSF meetings per year (quarterly) and work with their assigned region’s representatives. 
        • The current regional liaisons for 2024-2025 (elected at the ASTE conference in NOLA) include: 
          • North-East: No one
          • South- East: Megan Hodge, Clemson University
          • Mid-Atlantic: Eric Lindley, Virginia Commonwealth University and Chelsea McClure, Morgan State University
          • North-Central: Taiwo Ogundapo, Indiana University
          • North-West: Melissa Pearcy, Washington State University
          • South-West: Tyler Hansen, Utah State University
          • Far West: No one
          • International: Benedicte Boissard, University du Quebec a Montreal
        • We met with the regional liaisons once so far this year. During this meeting we were able to check in with each liaison to see if they have been able to communicate and/or meet with their region. We also discussed the role in general, and GSF/regional upcoming events that we can promote for each other
        • The regional liaisons provided the following suggestions to improve the role and communication between them their region(s):
          • establishing more specific guidelines/expectations for the role
          • adding regional specific writing times for graduate students
          • meet and greets at ASTE annual conferences to connect regional liaisons to their regions/regional representatives
          • creating LinkedIn accounts and email addresses for all regions
          • sending out a survey within all regions to create and update existing listservs
        • One common challenge for the liaisons has been communication with their region. Not all liaisons have been able to meet with their region yet; or get in contact with their regional representative(s)
      • Together, these new positions have provided additional ways for graduate students to get involved in ASTE and ASTE GSF leadership. We strongly believe the addition of these positions has also improved upon our current leadership model, as the current president and vice president are mentoring the president-elect and vice president-elect for one year prior to them becoming the future president and vice-president of the GSF.
  • GSF leadership team meetings- met weekly on Wednesdays to plan activities and delegate tasks

 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:

  • FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE: We are asking for monetary prizes for winner, runner-up, second runner-up, and People’s choice for the 3MT event at the 2025 ASTE Annual Conference in Long Beach, CA. We are asking for similar funding as we were provided during the 2024 ASTE Annual Conference in NOLA- $150 (winner); $100 (runner-up); $75 (second runner-up); $50 (People’s choice).  At the 2024 Annual Conference in NOLA, we had ~60-70 graduate students attend this event, and had 8 graduate students compete/present their 3MT. These numbers far surpass the number of graduate students we have had present and attend this event at previous conferences.



  • GRADUATE STUDENT COMMUNICATION: Given constant “changing” status of grad students, it is difficult to maintain an accurate mailing list. How might the board and greater membership feel about the ability for faculty members to add their graduate students (and interested grad students) to a list / google form for greater reach. This could also be a good recruitment tool. Some other things to consider: can we create a link to join listserv on the website?  How to periodically check the list: is there an automated option the Board uses or do we review manually? Would there be an unsubscribe from list link?

  • In previous years, the Grad Forum had discussed a Grad Student Poster session (similar to NARST) that included pre-conference mentoring by an ASTE member at a different institution in a similar field.  How would board and general membership feel about this idea? Discussions between it being practitioner/action research focused for in-classroom research and curriculum design (more like work that TA-ships would include, as these often do not have direct mentorship like research labs do) or the standard “empirical” research symposium. Would love Board thoughts on directions. With WiP poster sessions, we wouldn’t want it to feel like overlap – the mentoring segment before the conference would be highly emphasized.


Planned Activities:

  • Mini-in-May 2024

  • Continuing weekly writing sessions

  • Continuing to build Social Media presence/Marketing outreach/Awareness of GSF

  • Continuing to work with ASTE regional liaisons and ASTE’s regions to promote increased graduate student involvement in both GSF and regional events

  • ASTE 2025 Conference Activities

    • GSF Business Luncheon

    • Round table session with faculty to speak to experiences & expertise- we would like to collaborate with the M&P Committee as this event is similar to their “Walk the Lobby” event. We also think it would be strategic to have this event followed by the Mentor-Mentee Nexus so graduate students can continue to network and be mentored by faculty/others within ASTE. 

    • 3MT

    • Social



  • Increase outreach with the ASTE board, specifically M&P Committee. Examine potential roles to collaborate on Mentor/Mentee engagements as well as promoting membership and participation.

  • Topical virtual sessions with ASTE members featured as guest speakers

  • Maintain & Revamp GSF handbook for effective leadership transitions

  • We also hope to collaborate with NSTA to promote graduate student involvement in both ASTE and NSTA.


Additional Files
Board Report form May 2024_17c_GSF

Director of Electronic Services - #5

Associated Reports:
N/A
Report/Summary of Activities
  • Made some adjustments to home page and menu options to improve flow for users (e.g., job requests in the footer, announcements on top, etc.)
  • Figured out how to update the homepage and announcement lists
  • Slowly started to improve automated notifications for ASTE biz to include current ASTE logo.
    • Many automated forms only had a copy of the submission being sent to the ED and not the submitter.
  • Tried to resolve all electronic needs to the best of my ability within a reasonable amount of time
  • Gained a better sense of how to effectively management timelines of specific tasks.
    • Some tasks are very quick, and some appear quick on the surface but actually need at least 30 min – 1 hour + to resolve
  • Began to create a storage/sharing foundation to slowly migrate documents into GoogleTools/Calendar/Drive/Groups under my mfgw.aste@gmail.com account.
  • Met with Jim Newcombe and other OpenWater representatives’ multiple times and prepared necessary materials for demo event
  • Met with Sarah Benson, Executive Director of AACE, to discuss their services for conference and publication management
  • Worked with Kate to rectify the expiration and renew our site domain (theaste.org).

 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
Understanding DES Emergencies & Workflow Timelines

It would be helpful to have a clearer definition (or set of examples) of what counts as a “DES Emergency” so I can better equip myself to mitigate these as possible.

I realize that front-facing content is important, but I’m also realizing that for me to stay in this role and do it to the best of my ability, I must develop a different approach than the past rhythm of essentially always being ‘on call’. Because of the digital capabilities that exist in this world, my goal is to always begin from an assumption to be pro-active rather than re-active. I know I’m still learning the ASTE rhythm, so I will not always get this right, but my goal is to start inching toward more transparency about the workload management and timeline needs for DES requests.

One approach I have been piloting in both my DES and regular professor job, is the use of Calendly for making ‘work order style’ reservations.

This does several things for both parties involved:

  • Automate the documentation the nature and frequency of ad-hoc DES work requests received by Maria

  • Prevents Maria from unintentionally overcommitting herself to other activities when she has already agreed to DES-specific work

  • Provides a predictable and expected feedback timeline for requesters

  • ​Improves systemic efficiencies since it cuts down on back-and-forth emails (e.g., Are you done? Did I? Didn’t I?)

  • Gives requesters a safety net to help ensure their situation has my full attention to effectively respond to their needs


By making a reservation with my ASTE DES Calendly site,

  • members get increased transparency about the nature of the beast that is juggling DES and Professor-life

  • members are helping ensure that I can be the best DES I can be for all ASTE needs

  • improve systemic efficiencies to maximize my capacity to respond to member needs as a real human

  • Calendly helps me be my best, so ASTE gets my best.


Planned Activities:

  • Attend the on-site 2025 conference planning meeting in Long Beach, CA in July.


My Ongoing DES Goals:

  • Continue to develop/streamline storage/sharing foundation to slowly migrate documents into GoogleTools/Calendar/Drive/Groups under my mfgw.aste@gmail.com account.

  • Continue to get more comfortable with the existing ASTE interface

  • Gain more clarity on how to best facilitate 2025 conference logistics given limited knowledge and increased room for error than in previous years

  • Continue leveraging the DES Calendly work order reservation system for committee business (e.g., regional requests, ad hoc tweaks, new form creation, etc.) to effectively respond to ASTE needs within a reasonable (and transparent) timeline.

    • My availability is set to the typical workday hours (8-5pm CST) but also every from 8pm-10pm CST (every day of the week).




Far West Region - #16h

Report/Summary of Activities

The Far West planning committee met four times.  We focused on two events: 1) A Far West Regional Conference and business meeting held in Hawaii in January, 2024.  2) planning for the 2025 Annual International Conference to be held in Long Beach, CA.   

The Far West Winter/Spring Business Meeting was held on January 3rd in person, in conjunction with our Regional Conference. Fifteen  members and five prospective members attended the business meeting.  Participants were reminded that we have a regional website. During the meeting, we reviewed the activities from the previous year, discussed updating avenues for communication among the membership, and continued to discuss updating the region’s mission and by-laws. Donna Ross agreed to send a draft of the by-laws out to our members over the summer.  The topic of the timing of our election of the Far West Regional Director as it relates to the rotation of directors/representatives to the ASTE Board of Directors was raised. We agreed to include in our by-laws a statement that our regional director or a person designated by our regional director may serve as the regional representative to the ASTE board. By opening the option to a person designated by the regional director, we can simplify the problem of the two rotations not aligning. 

The Far West ASTE region has 27 due-paying members of ASTE, but our mailing list includes 59 people.  Donna Ross emailed  the 59 people on our email list and encouraged them to renew ASTE memberships.  We anticipate that the presence of the 2025 Annual International Conference taking place in southern California will result in the return to a greater number of active members in our region.       

We continue to strive to increase ethnic and linguistic diversity among the members in our region.  Although our business meeting in January did not consist of as diverse a population as we would have liked, the sessions at the Regional Conference were attended by a fairly diverse group of educators and we will continue to send them information about the region and encourage them to become ASTE members. Our greatest success to date in this objective was at our regional meeting in Palm Springs in October, 2023.  We hosted a poster session and encouraged members to have their graduate students present. Of the 12 posters in the session,  seven were presented by graduate students from traditionally underrepresented groups. We continue to invite and encourage those graduate students to stay connected with ASTE. We made plans to meet again in Fall 2024 at the California Association of Science Educators (CASE) annual conference, which will be located in Sacramento, California.  Donna Ross will again attend the CASE board meeting and request space at the November 2024 meeting. The regional members voted to have a poster session again, in addition to the business meeting.  

Last year, a sub-committee of the region (Donna Ross, Corinne Lardy, Lisa Martin-Hansen, and Susan Zweip-Gomez) with the assistance of Kate Popejoy, developed a proposal, which was accepted, for the Far West region to host the ASTE International Conference in Long Beach, CA in January 2025. At the business meeting this year, we brainstormed possible field trip options and we settled on our theme of Fearless Science Education.  We identified members to propose keynote speakers and to investigate the field trip options.  

During subsequent meetings, the sub-committee for planning the conference (CPC) for the 2025 ASTE International Conference has identified and investigated field trip options.  Disney has agreed to offer a field trip which will be free of charge except for the transportation. We anticipate a whale-watching field trip and a “Science of Beer” field trip. Two members are communicating with potential Keynote speakers and we have other members exploring sponsorship opportunities.  There will be more information in the Conference report (8a). 

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
Questions related to the annual conference, please see report 8a
Planned Activities:
The Far West Region will host a poster session and a business meeting in conjunction with the CASE conference in Sacramento, CA in November 2024. 

Additionally, the Far West Region will host the ASTE Annual International Conference in Long Beach in January 2025. See report 8a for more details.  

Report #15 – Publications Committee - #15

Associated Reports:
15a JSTE

15b ISTE

15c CITE-Science
Report/Summary of Activities

December 2023

Ingrid Carter joined the Publications Committee as Co-Chair.

January 2024

1/3: Lindsey Lightner was appointed by Bill McComas to the Publications Committee as a member-at-large.

1/10: Board Meeting in New Orleans – Led by outgoing Co-chair, Vanashri Nargund Joshi

1/30: Ester Kataate Namakula was appointed by John Pecore as Graduate Student Member

February 2024

2/5: JSTE Editor Team reached out regarding extending a call for ERB applications.

2/12: Co-Chair Mark Bloom sent an email requesting JSTE ERB call be sent to Listserve.

2/14: JSTE ERB Call was sent on the Listserve.

2/24: Al Bodzin requested to step down from the Publications Committee

2/26: JSTE Editors brought up the need to reevaluate current ERB members for further service AND “waivers” for ERB members who are not members of ASTE.

2/26: Publications Co-chairs sent an email with a link to Google Drive for them to upload ERB applications for review by the Publications Committee.

March 2024

3/4: Publications Committee Co-chairs sent email out to Committee seeking input on SOP policy requiring ERB members to be ASTE members in good standing.

3/25: Gillian Roehrig agreed to join the Publications Committee

 

April 2024

4/30: JSTE Editor Team (Emily Dare) requested review of new ERB applications, which had been uploaded into the Publications Committee Google Drive

May 2024

5/7: Committee was instructed to review applications for JSTE AEs (x3) and ERB members (x15) (posted in a Publications Committee Google Drive. They were instructed to cast their approve or disapprove votes by 5/14.

5/14: Votes on ASTE AEs and ERB members were tallied. All three AE applicants were approved with unanimous affirmative votes. Of the 15 applicants to the ERB, eight received a majority approval and seven were not approved. The reasons given for not approving the seven applicants centered on their lack of established publication records, the recency of earning their Ph.D.s (many earned Ph.D.s in 2023), or the lack of a terminal degree. This raises the question as to whether these exclusions match the ERB diversity requirements as stated in the SOPs – Committee will review this and discuss.

  • Associate Editors approved – Akerson, Roehrig, and Wiesselman
  • ERB Members approved – Ampatzidis, Bujosa, Chen, Heesoo, Hiawatig, Mazibe, McCausland, Miller-Rushing

5/28: Publications Committee will meet to discuss SOP language regarding Associate Editors and Editorial Review Board members (qualifications, application, extending terms, etc.).

5/30-5/31: Summer Board Meeting (Virtual)

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
How are the Publications Committee’s actions aligning with ASTE’s Strategic Priorities?

The Committee is currently discussing the SOP language regarding the diversity of the Associate Editors and Editorial Review Board members and how closely the current AEs and ERBs match the membership of ASTE and how closely current approval of AE and ERB applicants matches Strategic Priority #1 - to “broaden the diversity of membership and leadership in ASTE.” We will continue to work with the Equity Committee to assess, and if necessary propose modifications to, SOP language regarding the makeup of the AEs and ERBs of ASTE publications.

The Committee is currently discussing with ASTE publications editors how they are supporting Strategic Priority #2 in “providing a leading voice in conversation about science teacher education research, policy, and practice.”

 

Conference Chairs - #8a

Associated Reports:
8 (Conference Organizing & Planning Committee)
Report/Summary of Activities
  • Created a to-do list to keep track of tasks needed to be completed by the Local Team for the 2025 conference: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1enkXRpVqBe_r9aIi72Uj3qhX_hVp2SXiP9L0SHz5Vr4/edit?usp=sharing
  • Developed a theme for the conference and wrote a description of the theme: Fearless Science Education:
    • In our current political environment, where science is often subject to skepticism and politicization, it’s crucial for educators to embody fearlessness in their approach to the topic. Fearlessness in teaching science entails a steadfast commitment to evidence-based knowledge and transparent inquiry. The prevalence of misinformation, pseudoscience, and skepticism about scientific findings means educators must empower students to think critically and evaluate evidence in light of scientific knowledge. Politics pressures our teachers to ignore (or worse, deny) their students’ identities, remove books from their classrooms, and treat “DEI” like a dirty word. It’s through fearless teaching that we can set an example and inspire a new generation of scientifically literate individuals who are equipped to tackle the challenges of the future with clarity, curiosity, and confidence. This conference will focus on our work together as science teacher educators to support our teachers and give them the tools to face these challenges without fear and equip students with the tools they need to navigate an increasingly complex world.
  • At the 2024 Conference in New Orleans:
    • Developed an advertisement for the 2025 conference, which was included in the program.
    • Handed out materials to promote the 2025 conference including flyers, stickers, and other items.
    • Presented slides to introduce the location for the 2025 conference.
  • Attended monthly CPC meetings throughout the Spring 2024 semester.
  • Worked with CPC to update the call for presentation proposals.
  • Updated the ASTE website with information about the 2025 conference.
  • Identified three field trips (2 pre-conference and 1 post-conference)
    • Pre-Conference full day: Disneyland is sponsoring a full-day field trip, giving an overview of their STEM-related field trips for students. They are including breakfast, lunch, and tickets to the parks. The only thing we will need to pay for is transportation and we are currently exploring bus costs.
    • Pre-Conference half day: Whale watching with a biologist from the Aquarium of the Pacific. The Aquarium is within walking distance from the hotel.
    • Post-Conference half day/ evening: The science of brewing beer. This is a field trip that we have done before with the California Association of Science Educators (CASE) conference. We plan to offer this field trip after the awards lunch on Saturday to hopefully encourage more attendees to stay.
  • Continued to reach out to potential sponsors. The California State University Chancellor’s office has confirmed their sponsorship ($2500) and Disneyland is interested in sponsoring more than the field trip they are already sponsoring.
  • Narrowed down a list of potential keynote speakers and plan to have one finalized by end of May.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
We know that there was some discussion about Teach Kind (PETA) as a conference sponsor last year.  We would like to know if the Board is OK with us reaching out to Teach Kind as a sponsor again this year.
Planned Activities:

  • Lisa Martin-Hansen (and possibly other local team members) will join the team visiting the conference hotel in July.

  • Finalize the keynote speaker

  • Collaborate with the Equity Committee to plan the land acknowledgement statement

  • Finalize field trip plans

  • Working on getting discount tickets to the Aquarium of the Pacific and California Science Center for conference attendees (and hopefully more local attractions)

  • Continue to promote the conference on social media

  • Continue reaching out to potential sponsors

  • Plan an initiative to give back to the local community

  • Solicit volunteers for the registration desk and organize registration desk schedule

  • Plan reception

  • Create welcome letter for conference program

  • Finalize details for the fun run


Communications Committee - #7

Report/Summary of Activities

The communications committee finalized their survey questions based on feedback to be added to the grand member survey to inform social media use for the organization. The committee welcomed two new members and it is full. The committee continues to work on migrating the Facebook page. The LinkedIn account for the organization is up and will be launched this summer along with the Facebook site. The communications committee plans to meet in July to formalize these actions. The committee has formed subgroups around the social media platforms and these groups continue to work on the goals and instructions for each platform. The subgroups of each committee continue to monitor the current ASTE social media sites and post to them regularly regarding the activities of the organization and announcements by members.

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
he communications committee would like input on ways to use the platforms to connect and share during the conference. For example, #aste24 when posting pictures to different sites maybe. A prize for the most number of posts. Do we need a vote for the survey questions to be added to the grand membership survey? They are ready and can be found here.

 
Planned Activities:
The communications committee continues to work on:

  1. Launch of the new Facebook site (summer 24)

  2. LinkedIn ASTE account formalized (summer 24)

  3. An advertising revision for a vote at the Fall 24 board meeting

  4. Goals and instruction documents for each subcommittee


Elections Committee - #9

Associated Reports:
None
Report/Summary of Activities

Elections Committee Meeting During ASTE Annual Meeting – January 12, 2024

  • Introduced new and continuing members: Emily Dare, Rebecca Hite, Jesse Wilcox, Jamie Mikeska, Natalie King (not present)
  • Thanked outgoing members: Preethi Titu, Natasha Cooke-Nieves, Ron Hermann
  • Reviewed Elections Committee general activities and timeline from updated ASTE SOPs (Appendix I)
  • Reviewed Elections Committee rubrics and available positions for the 2024 Elections
  • Reviewed voter turnout (33%) and talked about how to possibly improve for next year
    • E.g., including pictures on voting page (sometimes you only recognize individuals from attending a conference and not necessarily remember their name), including Flipgrid style intros of candidates on voting page
  • Talked about hosting a webinar in spring regarding Elections materials
    • Note: This did not take place
  • Election of Jesse Wilcox as co-chair
  • Adjourned

 

Elections Committee Special Session – January 12 2024

  • Low turnout (2 non-Elections committee individuals present)
    • Session was at the same time as the Walk the Lobby event on Friday evening
  • Shared the “Pathway to Leadership” presentation (which was then sent to all individuals who accepted their nomination to a position)

 

2024 Election Nominees

  • We followed the new, shortened timeline in Appendix I of the ASTE SOPs, starting with developing the call for proposals and announced the request for nominations on Feb. 15. The nomination window stayed open until April 1.
  • The Elections Committee members independently reviewed each nominee and met on May 14, 2024 to develop a consensus on the slate for the 2024 ASTE Elections ballot.
  • The 2024 ASTE election slate is included in this report for Board discussion and vote.
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
We would like the board to discuss issues with the website to see if we can resolve these in the future. Many members of the committee weren’t able to access the elections committee page, and the website outage caused a delay in our work. We know these things happen and don’t think anyone is to blame. We just wanted to bring this to the board’s attention.
Planned Activities:

  • The Elections Committee plans to hold another embedded session at the ASTE Annual Conference in January 2025. We would like for the session to be more visible and not conflict with other events (e.g., as noted above, it conflicted with the Walk the Lobby event in at the 2024 conference).

  • The Elections Committee will work with the Executive Director and Director of Electronic Services in Fall 2024 to prepare for elections. This includes preparing emails and a timeline for sending out emails.

  • At the 2025 Annual meeting, the Elections Committee will elect a new Chair-Elect to serve with Jesse Wilcox, who will be moving into the Chair position.

  • We are planning to work on a standard letter to send to individuals who were nominated to help them understand how to submit their materials. We also plan to create a standard letter for individuals who were not selected for the election slate to help them consider how they might improve their materials for the future.


Women in Science Education Forum - #17g

Report/Summary of Activities

The Women in Science Education Forum met at the January ASTE Conference and elected three new leaders:

  1. Carolyn Parker, Director of Graduate Teacher Education, School of Education, American University, (caparker@american.edu)
  2. Stephanie Tracey nee Bannick , Doctoral Student | Department of Teaching & Learning
    College of Education, (smtrace@g.clemson.edu)
  3. Joytrese George, Doctoral Student, School of Education, American University (jg0178a@american.edu)
Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
The Women in Science Education Forum would like input from the board on how to fund, in advance, the Women in Science Dinner. The Women in Science Dinner is an important event that supports community networking for the organization.

In January, there was no dinner, only a gathering in a conference year because an affordable location could not be secured in advance. There was a dinner in 2022. The deposit for the dinner was put on Jessica Riccio personal credit card, which puts an undue burden on a member. Could ASTE funds be used for a deposit to secure a location for the annual Women in Science dinner.
Planned Activities:
Annual dinner during the January 2025 conference.

International Region - #16a

Associated Reports:
none
Report/Summary of Activities

The International Region hosted its first Regional Conference on 22 April, 2024.  We hosted 14 presentations from 8 countries.  Some of the presenters were new International Region Members.  The conference was well-received and we plan to host another Regional conference next year.

Items for Discussion and/or Board Action:
Two questions:

  1. Do we know where the ASTE banner is that used to be used at international conferences?

  2. Is there any money available to distribute printed recruitment materials at various conferences?


Planned Activities:
Continue to build our membership via facebook postings, email blasts, and word of mouth to new colleagues.