ASTE serves the science teacher education community through a variety of publications including position statements, scholarly journals in both online and print formats, books, monographs, newsletters, and conference proceedings.
Have an idea for a new ASTE Publication or resource? Do you have an idea for an ASTE monograph? Book? Web resource? Let us know. Contact the chairs of the Publications Committee for more information.
ASTE Position Statements
- Position Statement on Professional Knowledge Standards for Science Teacher Educators
- Position Statement on Inclusion of Underserved Populations in Science Education
- Position Statement on Environmental and Sustainability Education
- Position Statement on Science Teacher Preparation and Career-long Development
- Position Statement on Technology in Science Teacher Education
- Position Statement on Teaching Biological Evolution
- Journal of Science Teacher Education (JSTE) – Our organization’s flagship research journal, published 8 times per year
- Innovations in Science Teacher Education – Our practitioner-focused journal, published online 4 times per year.
- Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (CITE) – An online, peer-reviewed journal, established and jointly sponsored by five professional associations (AMTE, ASTE, NCSS-CUFA, CEE, and SITE). *ASTE oversees the Science Section only.
The ASTE Newsletter is a grassroots publication documenting organization events and providing news and recognition associated with members achievements. All members are welcomed to submit to the newsletter. If you have a short piece/ announcement that would be beneficial to ASTE members, please contact the current editors, Jennifer Oramous and Amity Gann or via Newsletter@theASTE.org. For past issues, click here.
For more regular updates and news, see Announcements.
Other ASTE Sponsored Publications
Click below for discount flyers and order forms for these ASTE sponsored Monographs:
- The Inclusion of Environmental Education in Science Teacher Education
- Women’s Experiences in Leadership in K-16 Science Education
- Science Teacher Educators as K-12 Teachers
ASTE Series In Science Education
This series, published by Springer, is currently on hiatus. The three most recent titles in the series appear below. Titles of previous books in the series can be found here.
- Science Teacher Preparation in Content-Based Second Language Acquisition Oliveira, Alandeom W., Weinburgh, Molly H. (Eds.) 2017
- Enhancing Professional Knowledge of Pre-Service Science Teacher Education by Self-Study Research Turning a Critical Eye on Our Practice Buck, Gayle A., Akerson, Valarie L. (Eds.)2016
- Educating Science Teachers for Sustainability Stratton, S., Hagevik, R., Feldman, A., Bloom, M. (Eds.)2015
The following books have been co-published with ASTE.
- Appleton, K. (2006). Elementary Science Teacher Education: International Perspectives on Contemporary Issues and Practice.
- Abell, S. K (2000). Science Teacher Education: An International Perspective.
- Gess-Newsome, J. & Lederman, N. G. (1999). Examining Pedagogical Content Knowledge: The Construct and Its Implications for Science Education.
Proceedings from ASTE international meetings
Conference Proceedings are generated from the program and published online following each annual international conference.
- 2020 Proceedings
- 2019 Proceedings
- 2018 Proceedings
- 2017 Proceedings
- 2016 Proceedings
- 2015 Proceedings
- 2014 Proceedings
- 2013 Proceedings
- 2012 Proceedings
- 2011 Proceedings
- 2010 Proceedings
- 2009 Proceedings
- 2008 Proceedings
- 2007 Proceedings
- 2006 Proceedings
- 2005 Proceedings
- 2002 Proceedings
- 2001 Proceedings
- 2000 Proceedings
- 1999 Proceedings
- 1998 Proceedings
- 1997 Proceedings
- 1996 Proceedings