ASTE serves the science teacher education community through a variety of publications including scholarly journals in both online and print formats, books, monographs, newsletters, position statements, and conference proceedings.
Have an idea for a new ASTE Publication or resource? Do you have an idea for an ASTE monograph? Book? Web resource? Let us know! Contact the chairs of the Publications Committee for more information.
ASTE journals are included in your membership! Read more about our journals below. Members can directly access current and back issues on our For Members page when logged into our website!
- Journal of Science Teacher Education (JSTE) – Our organization’s flagship research journal, published 8 times per year. (Members can access current and back issues of JSTE here).
- Innovations in Science Teacher Education – Our practitioner-focused journal, published online 4 times per year. (You must be logged in to access this content)
- Contemporary Issues in Technology and Teacher Education (CITE) – An online, peer-reviewed journal, established and jointly sponsored by five professional associations (AMTE, ASTE, NCSS-CUFA, CEE, and SITE). *ASTE oversees the Science Section only.
The ASTE Newsletter is a grassroots publication documenting organization events and providing news and recognition associated with members’ achievements. All members are welcomed to submit to the newsletter. Submissions are due the 10th of May, August, October and February to be included in the quarterly issues.
For more regular updates and news, see Announcements.
ASTE Position Statements
ASTE provides leadership in science teacher education by identifying the qualities and standards for the preparation and development of teachers of science; these are set forth in the form of position statements, which are used to support the improvement of science teacher education at all levels.
The following ASTE position statements represent the organization’s official stand on key issues important to the teaching and learning of science teachers, as well as the membership’s response to these issues. Position statements are reviewed every 5 years, under direction of the President. You can indicate your interest in serving on a review panel by completing this online form.
- Position Statement on Professional Knowledge Standards for Science Teacher Educators [under review]
- Position Statement on Inclusion of Underserved Populations in Science Education [under review]
- Position Statement on Environmental and Sustainability Education [under revision]
- Position Statement on Science Teacher Preparation and Career-long Development [under review]
- Position Statement on Technology in Science Teacher Education [under review]
- Position Statement on Teaching Biological Evolution [under review]
- Position Statement on Assessment of Science Teacher Preparation Programs [under development]
Other ASTE Sponsored Publications
Click below for discount flyers and order forms for these ASTE sponsored Monographs:
- The Inclusion of Environmental Education in Science Teacher Education
- Women’s Experiences in Leadership in K-16 Science Education
- Science Teacher Educators as K-12 Teachers
ASTE Series In Science Education
This series, published by Springer, is currently on hiatus. The three most recent titles in the series appear below. Titles of previous books in the series can be found here.
- Science Teacher Preparation in Content-Based Second Language Acquisition Oliveira, Alandeom W., Weinburgh, Molly H. (Eds.) 2017
- Enhancing Professional Knowledge of Pre-Service Science Teacher Education by Self-Study Research Turning a Critical Eye on Our Practice Buck, Gayle A., Akerson, Valarie L. (Eds.)2016
- Educating Science Teachers for Sustainability Stratton, S., Hagevik, R., Feldman, A., Bloom, M. (Eds.)2015
The following books have been co-published with ASTE.
- Appleton, K. (2006). Elementary Science Teacher Education: International Perspectives on Contemporary Issues and Practice.
- Abell, S. K (2000). Science Teacher Education: An International Perspective.
- Gess-Newsome, J. & Lederman, N. G. (1999). Examining Pedagogical Content Knowledge: The Construct and Its Implications for Science Education.
Proceedings from ASTE international meetings
Conference Proceedings are generated from the program and published online following each annual international conference.
- 2021 Proceedings
- 2020 Proceedings
- 2019 Proceedings
- 2018 Proceedings
- 2017 Proceedings
- 2016 Proceedings
- 2015 Proceedings
- 2014 Proceedings
- 2013 Proceedings
- 2012 Proceedings
- 2011 Proceedings
- 2010 Proceedings
- 2009 Proceedings
- 2008 Proceedings
- 2007 Proceedings
- 2006 Proceedings
- 2005 Proceedings
- 2002 Proceedings
- 2001 Proceedings
- 2000 Proceedings
- 1999 Proceedings
- 1998 Proceedings
- 1997 Proceedings
- 1996 Proceedings